Sunday, January 14, 2007

Rhodesian Air Force Air Cadet Camp - August 1967

Here is a historical photograph of the Rhodesian Air Force Air Cadet Camp - August 1967.

Prince Edward and Churchill Schools had air cadets. I remember that to become a 'blue job' one had to pass a written test to show ones interest and knowledge of things aeronautical.

This group photograph includes members of both school 'flights' who attended the annual camp at New Sarum, the RRAF airbase outside Salisbury, now Harare, in August 1967.

My oldest friend John Kotze, with whom I'm still in reasonably regular contact, is sitting front right and I am standing next to another friend, going back to Kindergarten years in Rusape, Michael Nel. Michael and I are standing 5th and 4th respectively from the left of the middle row.



I remember being driven out by bus each Friday (I think) afternoon from Prince Edward School to New Sarum. I used to realy enjoy what we learned and did on those great afternoons at Sarum.

I remember a couple of the names but not many.

If any ORAFS or anyone else who reads this know any names please leave a comment or e-mail me and I'll list them on this post.
My e-mail address is: dennislaidler (at) gmail.com


Any of you from this era will thoroughly enjoy this blog post on The Last of the Rhodesians blog.

See also my blog post with group photos of the RAF Territorial intake of early 1973.

1 comment:

Siobhan Kotze said...

Hi Dennis,
This is the most amazing picture - I've been putting together a family tree, and this is definitely going in the records!!
Thanks,
Siobhan Kotze