Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Turning big cork oak bowls ...

Here are some pics of two large cork oak natural edge bowls I turned during the Christmas break.
They have 'turned' out exceptionally well. I can't wait to get them finished.
I have left the walls of the bowls reasonably thick to best show off the magnificent cork bark.

I may also need to re-turn them if they change shape dramatically as they dry or if there is a major differential in shrinkage between the bark and the wood.


The big blank

Trimmed with a chainsaw to ballance it

It's about 400 to 450mm diameter









Look at that magnificent bark!


















Turn the outside shape and a spiggot so it can be reversed on to the chuck












The figuring of the wood is quite magnificent

Even if all the bark came off it would still make an outstandingly attractive bowl










The blank reversed on to the chuck

Ready to turn out the centre

I just wasn't brave enough to use the Kelton hollower and risk losing the whole thing

I may try that if I get another piece of cork oak






Look at that magnificent figuring














A close up of the bark












Only a Stubby Lathe has this sort of flexability with the bed and tool rest

















Using a long home-made tool rest to get deep inside the bowl












And just out of interest the bowl on the lathe was just an off-cut from a large log Ken Turner gave to me

Just look at those two 750mm blanks down there on the floor

I'll tackle the first one of those next time I have a whole two day weekend free

No comments: